Middle Eastern spices flavor these tender, minced-lamb kebabs. A raita of cucumber and yogurt is the ideal accompaniment
Prep Time: 15M, plus 2 hrs marinating
Cooking Time: 10M
Serves: makes 4 servings
- 1lb ( 450g) boned leg of lamb, cut into 1in ( 2.5cm) cubes
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 3 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp chopped lemon thyme
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 16 shallots, blanched
- 16 cherry tomatoes
- 16 button mushrooms
- 1 red pepper, seeded and cut into squares
- pita bread, to serve
- lettuce leaves and cucumber slices, to serve
- Place the lamb into a large nonmetallic dish. Mix the oil, lemon juice, onion, and thyme and pour over the lamb. Season with salt and pepper, cover, and refrigerate for 2 hours, stirring occasionally. Soak 16 wooden skewers in cold water.
- Drain the lamb, reserving the marinade.
- Preheat the broiler. Thread the lamb, shallots, tomatoes, mushrooms, and red peppers onto the skewers. Grill for about 10 minutes, turning frequently and basting with the marinade.
- Serve hot, with warmed pita bread and the lettuce and cucumber slices.
- low fat, low GI
Curried Lamb Kebabs: Add crushed garlic, chopped cilantro, and 1 tsp each of ground cumin and curry powder.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright Â© 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!