Lamb with Red Onions
Red onions complement lamb perfectly, and mint sauce adds the perfect touch.
Prep Time: 20M
Cooking Time: 2H
Serves: Serves 4
- 8 red onions, peeled and quartered
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2lb (900g) potatoes, peeled and quartered
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp mint sauce
- 2lb (900g) lamb fillet
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Put the onions in a large roasting pan and toss with 1 tablespoon of the oil. Add the potatoes, toss with the onions, then season well with salt and black pepper.
- Mix the remaining oil with the mint sauce and use to coat the lamb. Add the fillet to the roasting pan, drizzle over the balsamic vinegar, and put in the oven to roast for 11/2-2 hours.
- Remove the lamb and keep warm while it rests for 15 minutes. Slice and serve with the red onion and potato mixture.
- Look out for flavored balsamic vinegars. An apple balsamic vinegar would go well with the lamb-always use a good-quality thick one.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Quick Cook.
Copyright Â© 2009 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!