Lasagna al Forno
Type: Main Dishes
The perfect dish for family meals or casual entertaining
Prep Time: 25M
Cooking Time: 1H35M
Serves: makes 6-8 servings
- 8oz ( 227g) oven-ready lasagna
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan
For the ragù sauce
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 2oz ( 50g) pancetta, diced
- 1lb ( 450g) ground beef round
- one 14.5oz ( 411g) can chopped tomatoes
- 1/3 cup hearty red wine
- 1 tsp dried oregano
For the white sauce
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 1/4 cups whole milk
- 3/4 cup ricotta
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- To make the ragù sauce, heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion, celery, carrot, and pancetta and cook for 5 minutes, until softened. Add the beef and cook, breaking up with the side of a spoon, about 10 minutes, until browned.
- Add the tomatoes and their juices, the wine, and oregano. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to low, and simmer for at least 40 minutes and up to 21/2 hours.
- Meanwhile, make the white sauce. Melt the butter in a saucepan over low heat, whisk in the flour, and cook for 1 minute. Whisk in the milk. Cook, whisking often, until the sauce boils. Stir in the ricotta. Season with salt, pepper, and nutmeg.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C). Oil the baking dish. Spread 1/4 cup of the white sauce in the dish. Arrange 3 lasagna in the dish. Top with one third of the ragù and 1/2 cup of the white sauce. Repeat twice with the lasagna, ragù, and white sauce. Top with 3 lasagna, the remaining white sauce, and the Parmesan.
- Bake for 45 minutes, until the top is golden and bubbling. Let stand 10 minutes, then serve hot.
- 9 × 13in (23 × 33cm) baking dish
Vegetarian Lasagna: Replace the ragù with this vegetable sauce: Sauté 1 chopped onion and 2 chopped celery stalks in 2 tbsp olive oil. Add 2 zucchini, sliced, 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped, and 1 small eggplant, cut into small cubes. Sauté for about 20 minutes, until softened and beginning to brown. Add 2 tbsp sun-dried tomato paste, one 14.5oz (411g) can chopped tomatoes and their juices,1 vegetable bouillon cube, and 3/4 cup water. Simmer, partially covered, for 20 minutes.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright Â© 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!