This Lebanese meatball dish is flavorful and delicious.
Prep Time: 50M
Cooking Time: 1H
Serves: Serves 8
- 11/2lb (675g) ground lamb
- 2 onions, roughly chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- handful of fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- handful of flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 2 tsp paprika
- juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp tomato paste or purée
- 4 tbsp pine nuts
- 3 eggs
- 6 tbsp all-purpose flour
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 8 tbsp olive oil
- 6 medium potatoes, cut into 3/4in (2cm) pieces
- 2 red peppers, seeded and sliced
- 2 yellow peppers, seeded and sliced
- 3 × 14oz (400g) cans diced tomatoes
- 2 tsp fennel seeds, crushed
- Preheat the oven to 300°F (150°C). Put the lamb, onions, garlic, cilantro, parsley, paprika, lemon juice and zest, tomato paste, pine nuts, eggs, and flour in a mixing bowl and season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Mix well with your hands to form a chunky paste.
- Shape a spoonful of the mixture into a ball. Repeat with the rest of the mixture to make 32 meatballs in all. Heat 3 tablespoons of the oil in a large heavy-based pan. Cook the meatballs in batches for 10 minutes each, turning the meatballs several times during cooking to ensure they brown all over. As each batch is cooked, remove with a slotted spoon, and set aside.
- When all the meatballs are cooked, add the potatoes and peppers to the pan, and cook over high heat, turning frequently, for 10 minutes, or until starting to brown. Add the tomatoes and fennel seeds, stir well to combine, then season with plenty of sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Return the meatballs to the pan and stir well to coat with the sauce. Add the remaining oil, cover, and put in the oven for 1 hour. Serve hot from the pan with crusty bread and a green salad.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Quick Cook.
Copyright Â© 2009 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!