Lemon Chicken Linguine
This chicken linguine dish gets its light flavor from the lemon sauce.
Serves: 4 servings
- 8 ounces linguine pasta
- 12 ounces boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated lemon rind
- 1 cup evaporated skim milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons crushed fresh garlic
- 1/4 cup sliced scallions
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- 3 tablespoons grated nonfat or regular Parmesan cheese
- Cook the pasta al dente according to package directions. Drain well, return to the pot, and cover to keep warm.
- While the pasta is cooking, rinse the chicken with cool water, and pat it dry with paper towels. Cut the chicken into 3/4-inch cubes, sprinkle with the salt and pepper, and set aside.
- Place the broth, lemon juice, and lemon rind in a small bowl, stir to mix, and set aside.
- Place 1 tablespoon of the evaporated milk and all of the cornstarch in another bowl, and stir to dissolve the cornstarch. Stir in the remaining evaporated milk, and set aside.
- Coat a large nonstick skillet with nonstick olive oil cooking spray, and preheat over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and chicken, and stir-fry for about 4 minutes, or until the chicken is nicely browned and no longer pink inside.
- Reduce the heat under the skillet to medium, and add the pasta. Pour the broth mixture over the pasta and chicken, and toss to mix well. Slowly pour the milk mixture over the pasta, and toss gently for a minute or 2, or until the sauce just begins to boil and thickens slightly. Add a little more evaporated milk if the mixture seems too dry.
- Add the scallions and parsley to the skillet, and toss to mix well. Remove the skillet from the heat, toss in the Parmesan, and serve hot.
- For variety, substitute scallops or shrimp for the chicken.
Excerpted from The Best-Kept Secrets of Healthy Cooking by Sandra Woodruff, R.D. Copyright Ã¯Â¿Â½ 2000 by Sandra Woodruff.
To order this book go to www.penguin.com. Get a 15% discount with the coupon code FENPARENT.