Lemon Thyme Grilled Chicken
Delicious, versatile, and quick, this herbed lemon-scented grilled chicken is perfect for any meal.
Prep Time: 5M, plus marinating
Cooking Time: 18M-20M(grilled or broiled), 30 minutes (roasted)
Serves: serves 4
Dairy, egg, gluten, & nut free
- 8 chicken thighs or drumsticks or 4 chicken breasts on the bone with skins
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 tsp fresh thyme leaves
- 1/2 tsp finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper to season
- finely grated zest of 1 lemon
- Marinate the chicken pieces in the lemon juice (reserve the squeezed lemon halves for later), garlic, herbs, 2 tablespoons of the oil, and a little salt and pepper for at least an hour.
- Preheat the broiler or grill to medium. Grill or broil the chicken pieces, skin side down, 4 inches from the heat for 10 minutes, then turn over. Brush with any remaining marinade and grill or broil until cooked through, another 8-10 minutes. Alternatively, roast in the oven at 375° F for about 30 minutes. Put the squeezed lemon halves into the roasting pan for added flavor.
- Transfer to warm serving plates and spoon any pan juices over. Garnish with the lemon zest before serving.
- Serve with a salad of chopped tomatoes, chickpeas, and finely sliced red onions dressed with olive oil and wine vinegar, or mixed salad greens with a honey and mustard dressing.
: Replace the thyme and rosemary with a handful of torn fresh basil leaves, which should be scattered over the chicken 10 minutes before the end of the cooking time.
Excerpted from Allergy-Free Cookbook.
Copyright © 2009 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!