This spicy hodgepodge of rice, seafood, and veggies is always a winner!
Serves: Serves: 6 (1 1/2 cups)
- 3 cups (one 28-ounce can) tomatoes, finely chopped and undrained
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup (3 ounces) uncooked Minute Rice
- 3/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon dried minced garlic
- 1 1/2 cups (9 ounces) diced Dubuque 97% fat-free ham or any extra-lean ham
- 1 1/2 cups frozen peas, thawed
- 1 (6-ounce package) frozen shrimp
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- In a large skillet, combine undrained tomatoes, water, uncooked rice, and onion. Stir in thyme and garlic. Bring mixture to a boil.
- Lower heat, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add ham, peas, shrimp, and parsley flakes. Mix well to combine.
- Re-cover and continue simmering for 6 to 8 minutes or until mixture is heated through and shrimp is cooked, stirring occasionally.
- 1. Thaw peas and shrimp by placing in a colander and rinsing under hot water for one minute. 2. Canned shrimp, rinsed and drained, may be substituted for frozen.
From COOKING HEALTHY ACROSS AMERICA by JoAnna Lund. Used by arrangement with Perigee, a member of Penguin Group (USA) Inc. Copyright © 2000 by Healthy Exchanges, Inc.
If you'd like to buy this book, click here or on the book cover.