Macaroni Bake with Ham and Peppers
Type: Main Dishes
Quick to make and full of rich flavors, this pasta casserole makes a satisfying midweek meal or an informal dinner-party dish
Prep Time: 10M
Cooking Time: 20M-25M
Serves: makes 6-8 servings
- 1lb ( 450g) elbow macaroni or other tube-shaped pasta
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
- one 14.5oz ( 411g) can chopped tomatoes
- 9oz ( 250g) smoked ham, diced
- 3 tbsp dry white wine or chicken stock
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup fresh bread crumbs
- 3 tbsp freshly grated Parmesan
- 2 tbsp butter, melted
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). Bring a large saucepan of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the macaroni and cook according to the package instructions, until barely tender. Drain well.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, and red pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes, or until softened but not browned.
- Add the tomatoes, ham, wine, and oregano and bring to a boil. Simmer for 2-3 minutes to reduce slightly. Remove from the heat. Stir in the macaroni and season with salt and pepper. Spread in a 2 quart (2 liter) baking dish. Mix the bread crumbs, Parmesan, and butter, and sprinkle on top.
- Place on a baking sheet and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until golden and bubbling. Serve hot.
- Prepare ahead: Prepare through step 3; cool, cover with aluminum foil, and refrigerate for up to 1 day. Bake 15 minutes, remove the foil and bake 15 minutes more, until thoroughly heated.
- Good with a spinach salad.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright Â© 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!