Use this recipe for a tasteful lasagna classic that keeps well when you make it ahead of time.
Serves: Serves 8 to 10
- 3 TB. olive oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 1⁄2 tsp. crushed red pepper
- 1 lb. lasagna noodles
- 1 batch 20-Minute Tomato Sauce
- 1 (2-lb.) container ricotta cheese
- 1 (10-oz.) pkg. frozen spinach, thawed and drained of excess water
- 1 lb. mozzarella, shredded
- 1⁄3 cup Parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a large saucepan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onions, and sauté for five minutes.
- Add ground beef, salt, pepper, oregano, and red pepper. Cook, stirring, for about eight minutes, until browned and cooked through.
- While beef is cooking, boil water for lasagna noodles over high heat in a large cooking pot and cook noodles to al dente (still slightly firm). Remove from water and rinse with cold water to stop softening.
- In a large casserole or baking dish, layer as follows:
- Enough sauce to cover bottom
One layer noodles
Half the ricotta
Half the spinach
Half the mozzarella
Half the remaining sauce
- Reserve 1⁄2 cup mozzarella to put on top.
- Top with Parmesan cheese and remaining mozzarella.
- Bake for 45 to 55 minutes, until top is bubbly and any protruding noodles are crispy.
- Remove and let rest for 10 minutes.
Excerpted from The Complete Idiot's Guide to 20-Minute Meals © 2003 by CWL Publishing Enterprises, Inc., John Woods, President. All rights reserved including the right of reproduction in whole or in part in any form. Used by arrangement with Alpha Books, a member of Penguin Group (USA) Inc.
To order this book visit Amazon's website or call 1-800-253-6476.