Mama's Meat Loaf
Three steps take this meatloaf from the freezer to the table. Oats and vegetables cut down on the fat!
Serves: 8 servings
- 1 1/2 pounds 95% lean ground beef
- 1 cup finely chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1/4 cup grated nonfat or regular Parmesan cheese
- 3 egg whites
- 1 1/2 teaspoons crushed fresh garlic
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce, divided
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Place all of the loaf ingredients and 3 tablespoons of the tomato sauce in a large bowl, and mix well. Coat a 9-x-5-inch meat loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray, and press the mixture into the pan to form a loaf.
- Bake uncovered at 350°F for 35 minutes. Place the remaining tomato sauce, the sugar, and the Italian seasoning in a small bowl, stir to mix, and pour over the meat loaf. Bake for 30 additional minutes, or until the meat is no longer pink inside and a meat thermometer registers 160ºF.
- Remove the loaf from the oven, and let sit for 10 minutes before slicing and serving.
Excerpted from The Best-Kept Secrets of Healthy Cooking by Sandra Woodruff, R.D. Copyright Ã¯Â¿Â½ 2000 by Sandra Woodruff.
To order this book go to www.penguin.com. Get a 15% discount with the coupon code FENPARENT.