Type: Main Dishes
This recipe is great served hot for a weekday family meal, or cold in a packed lunch or sandwich
Prep Time: 20M
Cooking Time: 30M
Serves: makes 4 servings
- vegetable oil, for the pan
- 12oz ( 340g) ground beef round
- 8oz ( 225g) ground pork
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup packed fresh bread crumbs
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- 2 tsp spicy brown mustard
- 1 tsp paprika
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 3 hard-boiled eggs, peeled
For the sauce
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 3 small sour pickles (cornichons), chopped
- 1 tbsp capers, chopped
- 1 tbsp finely chopped parsley
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). Lightly oil an 8 × 4in (20 × 10cm) loaf pan.
- Mix together the ground beef, pork, onion, bread crumbs, parsley, mustard, and paprika and season with salt and pepper. Stir in the beaten egg and mix thoroughly.
- Evenly spread half of the mixture in the pan. Arrange the hard-boiled eggs down the center, then top with the remaining meat mixture and smooth the top.
- Cover the loaf pan with aluminum foil. Bake for about 50 minutes, until firm. Let stand for 10 minutes before turning out on to a warmed platter.
- To make the sauce, mix the sour cream, pickles, capers, and parsley.
- Serve the meat loaf cut into slices, with the sauce spooned over and extra on the side.
- 8 × 4in (20 × 10cm) loaf pan
- Prepare ahead: The loaf can be prepared through step 4 and refrigerated for up to 8 hours. The sauce can be covered and refrigerated for up to 3 days.
- Good with a salad of arugula and halved cherry tomatoes.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright Â© 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!