Categories: Big-Batch Meals, Christmas, Entertaining, Pasta Dishes, Quick to fix, Vegetarian
Type: Main Dishes
Type: Main Dishes
A simple baked vegetarian pasta dish full of Italian flavors
Prep Time: prep 20 mins
Cooking Time: cook 1 hr 10 mins
Serves: makes 8 servings
- 4 small eggplants
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large red bell pepper
- 4 large portobello mushrooms, stemmed
- olive oil, for the dish
- 4 cups marinara sauce
- 8oz ( 227g) oven-ready lasagna
- 1lb ( 450g) mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
- 15oz ( 420g) ricotta cheese
- 1 / 4 cup freshly grated Parmesan
- Cut the eggplants lengthwise 1/2in (13cm) thick. Place in a colander on a plate and toss with 11/2 tbsp of salt. Let stand 30-60 minutes to draw out the bitter juices. Rinse well and pat dry with paper towels.
- Position an oiled broiler rack 6in (15cm) from the heat and preheat the broiler. Broil the eggplant, peppers, and mushrooms for 5-10 minutes, or until they are softened but still hold their shape. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Preheat the oven to 375Â°F (190Â°C). Lightly oil the baking dish and spoon in a ladleful of the marinara sauce. Top with a layer of pasta, some vegetables, another ladleful of sauce, then some of the mozzarella and ricotta. Repeat the layers, finishing with tomato sauce, topped with some vegetables. Sprinkle with the Parmesan.
- Cover the dish tightly with aluminium foil and place on a baking sheet. Bake for 30 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for 15 minutes more to brown the top. Remove from the oven and let stand 15 minutes before serving.
- prep 20 mins; cook 1 hr 10 mins
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright Â© 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!