Mushrooms make a great addition to this risotto dish.
Prep Time: 15M
Cooking Time: 25M
Serves: Serves 8
- 6 tbsp olive oil
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1lb 2oz (500g) cremini mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 3 red chiles, seeded and finely sliced
- 11/4lb (550g) Arborio rice
- 21/2 cups hot mushroom or chicken stock
- 2 tsp ground black pepper
- large handful of fresh flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 41/2oz (125g) Parmesan cheese, grated
- Heat the oil in a large cast-iron casserole, add the onions, and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes, or until soft. Stir in the butter, mushrooms, garlic, and chiles, and cook for 5 minutes more, stirring.
- Add the rice, stir well, then add 11/4 cups stock and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until the rice absorbs the stock. Add more stock, 2/3 cup at a time, allowing each addition to be absorbed before adding the next, until the rice is cooked.
- Add the pepper, parsley, and half the cheese, stir, and serve with more Parmesan sprinkled on top.
- Omit the mushrooms and add 6 sliced zucchini or 11/2 bunches of chopped asparagus with the onion.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Quick Cook.
Copyright © 2009 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!