Mussels in White Wine Sauce
Cooking in wine, garlic, and herbs is one of the easiest ways to prepare mussels, and one of the best
Prep Time: prep 20 mins
Cooking Time: cook 10 mins
Serves: makes 4 servings
- 4 tbsp butter
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 8lb ( 3.6kg) mussels, cleaned
- 2 1 / 4 cups dry white wine
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 bay leaves
- 2 sprigs thyme
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2-4 tbsp chopped parsley
- Melt the butter in a soup pot over medium heat. Add the onion and cook about 6 minutes, until lightly browned. Add the mussels, wine, garlic, bay leaves, and thyme, and season with salt and pepper. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Cook shaking the pan often, for about 6 minutes, or until the mussels have opened.
- Transfer the mussels to large serving bowls, discarding any mussels that do not open. Cover the bowls with a large clean kitchen towel to keep the mussels warm.
- Strain the liquor through a fine sieve into a saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat. Add the parsley and adjust the seasoning. Pour the sauce over the mussels and serve immediately.
- prep 20 mins; cook 10 mins
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright © 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!