Mussels with Spicy Tomato Sauce
The distinctly Spanish flavor of smoked paprika is a welcome addition to the classic mussels in tomato sauce
Prep Time: prep 15 mins
Cooking Time: cook 10 mins
Serves: makes 4 servings
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 1 celery stalk, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 fresh hot red chile, seeded and minced
- 1 / 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 4lb ( 1.8kg) mussels, cleaned
- 2 large ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 1 / 2 cup dry white wine
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- Heat the oil and butter in a large soup pot with lid over low heat. Add the shallots, celery, garlic, and chile and cook until the shallots have softened. Stir in the paprika.
- Add the mussels, tomatoes, and wine and stir well. Increase the heat to medium-high and bring to a boil. Cover and cook, shaking the pan often, for about 6 minutes, or until the mussels have opened.
- Transfer the mussels to deep serving bowls and sprinkle with parsley. Serve hot.
- prep 15 mins; cook 10 mins
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright Â© 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!