Whole tomatoes, freshly crushed garlic, and delicate mozzarella round out the flavor of the anchovies in this fanciful pizza.
Serves: 8 1 slice servings
- 1 can (14 1/2 ounces) unsalted whole tomatoes, drained
- 1 teaspoon crushed fresh garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 recipe Pizza Dough
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 1/2 teaspoons grated nonfat or regular Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat mozzarella cheese
- 4 anchovy fillets, drained and coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh oregano, or 1 teaspoon dried
- Place the drained tomatoes in a small bowl, and mash with a fork until coarsely crushed. Drain off any liquid that has accumulated, stir in the garlic and pepper, and set aside.
- Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface. Using a rolling pin, roll the dough into a 14-inch circle. (For a thick crust, roll the dough into a 12-inch circle.) Coat a 14-inch (or 12-inch) pizza pan with nonstick cooking spray. Place the dough on the pan, forming a slight rim around the edges. Set the crust aside for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Spread the tomato mixture over the crust to within 1/2 inch of the edges. Sprinkle first the Parmesan and then the mozzarella over the tomatoes. Top with the anchovies, and sprinkle with the oregano.
- Bake at 425°F for about 10 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and the crust is lightly browned. Slice and serve immediately.
Excerpted from The Best-Kept Secrets of Healthy Cooking by Sandra Woodruff, R.D. Copyright Ã¯Â¿Â½ 2000 by Sandra Woodruff.
To order this book go to www.penguin.com. Get a 15% discount with the coupon code FENPARENT.