Northwest Territory Crab au Gratin
Savor this flavor of this rich and cheesy crab casserole.
Serves: Serves: 6
- 3/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 1/2 cups (one 12-fluid-ounce can) Carnation Evaporated Skim Milk
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 (4.5-ounce drained weight) cans crabmeat, drained
- 1/4 cup (one 2-ouncejar) chopped pimiento, drained
- 1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon (2 1/4 ounces) shredded Kraft reduced-fat Cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 slices reduced-calorie bread, made into small soft crumbs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray an 8-by-8-inch baking dish with butter-flavored cooking spray.
- In a large skillet sprayed with butter-flavored cooking spray, sauté onion for 5 minutes.
- In a covered jar, combine evaporated skim milk and flour. Shake well to blend.
- Pour milk mixture into skillet with onion. Continue cooking until mixture thickens, stirring constantly.
- Add crabmeat, pimiento, Cheddar cheese, parsley flakes, and black pepper. Mix well to combine. Continue cooking until cheese melts, stirring often.
- Spoon half of crab-meat mixture into prepared baking dish. Cover with half of bread crumbs. Repeat layers. Lightly spray top with butter-flavored cooking spray. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Place baking dish on a wire rack and let set for 5 minutes. Divide into 6 servings.
From COOKING HEALTHY ACROSS AMERICA by JoAnna Lund. Used by arrangement with Perigee, a member of Penguin Group (USA) Inc. Copyright © 2000 by Healthy Exchanges, Inc.
If you'd like to buy this book, click here or on the book cover.