Onion gives this tart a slightly sweet and delicious flavor.
Prep Time: 15M
Cooking Time: 55M
Serves: Serves 6
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 11/4 cups whole milk
- 2 tsp mild paprika
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 sheet prepared dough for an 8-9in (20-23cm) pie
- 1 egg, lightly beaten, for egg wash
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). Heat the oil in a large nonstick frying pan over low heat. Add the onions and cook gently for about 15 minutes until quite soft, stirring constantly, to prevent browning.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the flour with a wooden spoon. Add a little of the milk and stir until combined. Return the pan to the heat and slowly keep adding the milk, stirring continuously as the mixture thickens. Add 1 tsp of the paprika, and season well with salt and pepper. Remove from the heat, and set aside.
- Roll out the pastry on a floured work surface, and use to line an 8in (20cm) round pie dish. Trim away any excess, line the pastry shell with parchment paper, and fill with pie weights or dry beans. Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes until the edges of the pastry are golden. Remove the beans and paper, brush the bottom of the shell with a little of the egg wash, and return to the oven for a couple of minutes to crisp. Reduce the oven temperature to 350°F (180°C).
- Carefully spoon the onion mixture into the pastry shell, and sprinkle with the remaining paprika. Return the pie to the oven, and bake for 15-20 minutes until lightly golden. Serve warm.
- Do make sure you cook the onions very slowly over low heat-you want them to soften, but not color.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Quick Cook.
Copyright Â© 2009 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!