Oriental Pork and Vegetable Fried Rice
Here's a better-for-you version of fried rice.
Serves: 4 servings
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon peanut oil
- 1/2 cooked white rice
- 16-ounce package frozen mixed stir-fry vegetables
- 6 ounces lean ham, cut into small pieces
- 1/2 cup stir-fry sauce
- In a large nonstick skillet, scramble the egg and then remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add the oil and rice to the pan and stir-fry the rice over high heat for a few minutes until the rice starts to brown.
- Add the vegetables, cover, and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add the scrambled egg, chopped ham, and stir-fry sauce to the rice and vegetables and mix to combine.
- Fried rice should always be made with cold rice. If warm rice is used, it sticks and becomes mushy. Any combination of leftover cooked meats, poultry, seafood, and vegetables works well.
From The Weeknight Survival Cookbook: How to Make Healthy Meals in 10 Minutes by Dena Irwin, R.D. Copyright © 1998 by Dena Irwin. All rights reserved. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
To order this book visit www.wiley.com.