Oven-Roasted Root Vegetables
Type: Main Dishes
The natural sugars in parsnips, turnips, and carrots achieve a glorious conclusion when roasted.
Serves: Makes about 5 cups
- 2 pounds root vegetables, such as parsnips, turnips, or carrots, peeled and chopped into 1" pieces
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl, toss the vegetables with the olive oil until evenly coated. Spread in 1 layer on a baking sheet.
- Roast in the oven for 30 minutes or until the vegetables are tender when pierced with a fork.
- Serve as a finger food or mash to a consistency appropriate for your child.
- These vegetables are a cinch to freeze. Let the vegetables cool completely and then throw into a plastic bag. Or, freeze the puree in ice cube trays. As a variation, fill a small ramekin with puree, top with Cheddar cheese, and bake in a oven for 15 minutes. Or puree and simmer with low-sodium chicken broth for an easy, nutritious soup.
Reprinted from The Baby Bistro Cookbook: Healthy, Delicious Cuisine for Babies, Toddlers, and You by Joohee Muromcew. Copyright © 2003 by Joohee Muromcew. Permission granted by Rodale, Inc., Emmaus, PA 18098. Available wherever books are sold or directly from the publisher by calling (800) 848-4735 or visit their website at www.rodalestore.com.