Your family will love this Pad Thai recipe.
Prep Time: 15M
Cooking Time: 15M
Serves: Serves 8
- 11/4lb (550g) medium or thick rice noodles
- 3 tbsp sunflower oil
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tsp shrimp paste
- 4 red chiles, seeded and finely chopped
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/4in (5mm) slices
- 2 bunches scallions, finely chopped
- splash of Thai fish sauce
- juice of 2 limes
- 2 tbsp demerara sugar
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 10oz (300g) unsalted peanuts
- handful of fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- lime wedges, to serve
- Put the noodles in a large bowl, cover with boiling water, and leave for 8 minutes, or until soft. Drain and set aside. Put 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large wok over high heat and swirl around the pan. Add the beaten eggs and whisk them around the wok for about a minute, or until they begin to set. Before the eggs set completely, spoon them out and set aside.
- Add the remaining oil to the wok, then add the shrimp paste, chiles, and stir. With the heat still high, add the chicken and stir constantly for 5 minutes, or until it is no longer pink. Stir in the scallions, fish sauce, lime juice, and sugar, and toss to combine. Cook for a few minutes, or until the sugar has dissolved, then season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Return the eggs to the wok.
- Add the noodles to the wok and toss to coat with the sauce, then add half the peanuts and half the cilantro, and toss again. Transfer to a large shallow serving bowl and sprinkle with the rest of the peanuts and cilantro. Serve with the lime wedges.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Quick Cook.
Copyright © 2009 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!