Once you have gathered the ingredients, this dish comes together quickly to create a fast weeknight supper
Prep Time: prep 20 mins
Cooking Time: cook 10 mins
Serves: makes 4 servings
- 12oz ( 350g) flat rice noodles
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp chopped cilantro
- 1 small hot red chile, seeded and finely chopped
- 9oz ( 250g) large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 4 shallots, finely chopped
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 tbsp Thai fish sauce
- 2 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 9oz ( 250g) bean sprouts
- 4 scallions, white and green parts, sliced
- 1 cup unsalted roasted peanuts
- 1 lime cut into 4 wedges, to serve
- Soak the noodles in a bowl of hot water to cover for about 15 minutes, or until soft. Drain.
- Meanwhile, heat a wok or large frying pan over high heat. Add 2 tbsp of the oil, then the cilantro and chile. Immediately add the shrimp and stir-fry until the shrimp look opaque around the edges, about 1 minute. Transfer to a plate.
- Add the remaining oil to the wok. Add the shallots and stir-fry for 1 minute. Add the eggs and sugar and cook, stirring, for 1 minute, until the eggs are scrambled.
- Stir in the oyster sauce, fish sauce, and lime juice. Add the noodles, bean sprouts, and shrimp. Stir-fry for 2 minutes. Add the scallions and 1/2 cup of the peanuts, and stir-fry for 1 minute. Sprinkle with the remaining peanuts and garnish with lime wedges to serve.
- prep 20 mins; cook 10 mins
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright © 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!