Palak Paneer (Curried Spinach and Cheese)
Type: Main Dishes
This Americanized version of curried spinach and cheese is a surprise hit with children who like robust flavors.
Serves: Makes about 2 cups
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 bag prewashed fresh spinach
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon mild curry powder
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 2 ounces mozzarella cheese, cut into 1/2" cubes (about 1/2 cup)
- Hot cooked rice
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the spinach and cook, quickly working the spinach down with tongs or a wooden spoon, until wilted but still bright green. Remove the spinach to a plate and cool.
- In the same skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Reduce the heat to low, add the flour and curry powder, and cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes or until the mixture is bubbly. Stir in the milk and cook, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes or until the mixture thickens. Return the spinach to the skillet and stir.
- Let the spinach cool slightly in the skillet. In batches, puree in a blender or food processor. Return the puree to the skillet and stir in the cheese cubes. Serve with rice.
Reprinted from The Baby Bistro Cookbook: Healthy, Delicious Cuisine for Babies, Toddlers, and You by Joohee Muromcew. Copyright © 2003 by Joohee Muromcew. Permission granted by Rodale, Inc., Emmaus, PA 18098. Available wherever books are sold or directly from the publisher by calling (800) 848-4735 or visit their website at www.rodalestore.com.