Pan-fried Clams with Parsley and Garlic
Your family will love these pan-fried clams with parsley and garlic.
Prep Time: 10M
Cooking Time: 20M
Serves: Serves 4
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- pinch of sea salt
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1-2 green bell peppers, seeded and finely chopped
- 3/4 cup dry white wine
- 1lb (450g) fresh clams in the shell, well rinsed (see Cook's Notes)
- handful of flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- lemon wedges, for serving
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add the onion and salt, and cook for about 5 minutes until soft. Add the garlic and peppers, and cook gently until the peppers begin to soften. Increase the heat to high, and add the wine. Cook for a couple of minutes until the wine begins to evaporate.
- Add the clams and cook, covered, shaking the pan occasionally, for 5-6 minutes or until the clams open. (Discard any clams that do not open.) Stir in the parsley. Serve hot with fresh crusty bread to sop up the juices, and lemon wedges for squeezing.
- Meat is often paired with seafood in Portuguese cooking. Try adding small cubes of chorizo to this dish, cooking the meat just before you add the clams.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Quick Cook.
Copyright © 2009 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!