Paneer and Sweet Pepper Curry
Chiles and curry give the paneer in this dish a spicy kick.
Prep Time: 15M
Cooking Time: 40M
Serves: Serves 8
- 4 tbsp ghee or vegetable oil
- 2 ื 9oz (250g) packs paneer, cubed
- 4in (10cm) piece fresh ginger, peeled and sliced
- 3 red chiles, seeded and chopped
- 2 tbsp dried curry leaves, crushed
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 4 tsp garam masala
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 8 red bell peppers, seeded and sliced
- 8 tomatoes, skinned and coarsely chopped
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- bunch of cilantro, finely chopped
- Heat half the ghee or oil in a large wide pan, add the paneer, and cook on medium-high heat for 5-8 minutes or until golden all over. Keep turning the pieces so they don't get too brown. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Heat the remaining ghee in the pan, add the ginger, chiles, curry leaves, cumin, garam masala, and turmeric, stir well to coat with the oil, then add the peppers and cook on low heat for 10 minutes or until beginning to soften.
- Add the tomatoes and cook for 10 minutes. Return the paneer to the pan, season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, then simmer gently for 10-15 minutes. Stir in the cilantro and serve with rice, chapati, or naan bread.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Quick Cook.
Copyright © 2009 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!