Pasta Carbonara with Pancetta and Cream
Pancetta and cream turns this pasta dish into a decadent dinner.
Prep Time: 10M
Cooking Time: 15M
Serves: Serves 4
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 51/2oz (150g) pancetta or slab bacon, cut into small cubes
- 2 sage leaves, finely sliced
- 6 large eggs
- 2/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup (125g) freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- 12oz (350g) dried linguine or spaghetti
- small handful of finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, for serving
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan, add the pancetta and sage, and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes or until golden.
- Combine the eggs, cream, Parmesan, and nutmeg in a bowl, season with salt and pepper, then blend with a fork. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta as the package directs. Drain, reserving a small amount of the cooking water. Return the pasta to the pot and toss with the reserved cooking water.
- Give the egg mixture one final stir, then add to the hot pasta and stir thoroughly to combine. Put the lid on the pot, leave to sit for 1 minute, then stir again. Add the pancetta and sage and toss together. Sprinkle with parsley and serve.
- Toss cooked or thawed frozen peas into the final dish.
- Cheat...Use 1 cup (200g) of store-bought carbonara sauce-but don't expect it to be as good as the real thing!
Excerpted from The Illustrated Quick Cook.
Copyright © 2009 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!