Pasta Pesto Primavera
Type: Main Dishes
Vegetables and cheesy pesto make this pasta dish memorable.
Serves: 4 servings
- 8 ounces thin spaghetti
- 3/4 cup thinly sliced cauliflower florets
- 3/4 cup yellow squash, halved lengthwise and sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 3/4 cup thin strips red bell pepper
- 3/4 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup warm chicken or vegetable broth
- PESTO SAUCE
- 2/3 cup (tightly packed) fresh basil
- 2/3 cup (tightly packed) fresh spinach
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons grated nonfat or regular Parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts or pine nuts (optional)
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 3-4 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
- Cook the pasta al dente according to package directions. About 1 minute before the pasta is done, add the vegetables, and cook until the vegetables are crisp-tender and the pasta is al dente. Drain well, return the pasta and vegetables to the pot, and cover to keep warm.
- While the pasta is cooking, place all of the pesto ingredients in a blender or food processor, and process until finely ground.
- Add the pesto to the pasta and vegetables, and toss to mix well. Add the broth, and toss to mix well. Add a little more broth if the sauce seems too dry, and serve hot.
Excerpted from The Best-Kept Secrets of Healthy Cooking by Sandra Woodruff, R.D. Copyright © 2000 by Sandra Woodruff.
To order this book go to www.penguin.com. Get a 15% discount with the coupon code FENPARENT.