Pasta with arugula
If you like robust modern Mediterranean flavors, this simple-to-prepare but special pasta dish will appeal to you.
Prep Time: 3M
Cooking Time: 10M
Serves: serves 4
Egg & nut free
- 12 oz dried egg-free spaghetti
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 red chili, seeded and chopped
- zest of 1 1/2 lemons
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 oz arugula torn into 1-in pieces or shredded finely (chiffonade)
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan (plus extra to serve)
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to season
- Cook the pasta in a large pot of boiling water according to the package instructions or until al dente.
- While the pasta is cooking, heat the oil in a small pan over low heat. Add the garlic, chili, and lemon zest. Cook until the garlic has softened (about 2 minutes). Add the lemon juice.
- Drain the pasta and pour the flavored oil over. Add the arugula and Parmesan and toss well.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve immediately, with extra Parmesan on the side.
- If nondairy Parmesan is not available, try other nondairy cheeses. An equal quantity of feta-style cheese chopped into 1/2 inch cubes or nondairy mozzarella both work well-especially if topped with black olives.
Dairy free also egg & nut free: Follow the recipe for Egg & nut free, but replace the Parmesan with an equal quantity of nondairy Parmesan (see Resources). This can be quite salty so you may need to adjust the seasoning accordingly.
Gluten free also egg & nut free: Follow the recipe for Egg & nut free, but replace the egg-free spaghetti with an equal quantity of an egg-free pasta that is also gluten free. Corn pasta is ideal in this recipe since it holds the flavors well; 100 percent buckwheat pasta is fine, too.
Excerpted from Allergy-Free Cookbook.
Copyright © 2009 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!