Pasta with Broccoli and Lemon
Broccoli and lemon turn regular pasta into an instant favorite.
Prep Time: 10M
Cooking Time: 25M
Serves: Serves 4
- 1 head of broccoli, about 12oz (350g), cut into florets
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 red jalape駉 chile pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- finely grated zest of 1 lemon
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 12oz (350g) dried penne
- juice of 1 lemon, to serve
- freshly grated Parmesan cheese, for serving (optional)
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Cook the broccoli in a pan of boiling salted water for 10-15 minutes or until soft and slightly overcooked. Drain and chop coarsely. Heat the oil in a large frying pan, add the onion and a pinch of salt, and cook over low heat for 5 minutes or until soft. Stir in the chile, then add the wine. Raise the heat and bubble for a couple of minutes.
- Lower the heat, and add the lemon zest and garlic. Season well with salt and pepper, then stir in the broccoli, toss together, and set aside.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta as the package directs, until it is tender yet still firm to the bite. Drain, reserving a small amount of the cooking water. Return the pasta to the pot and toss together with the reserved cooking water. Add the broccoli mixture, then squeeze in the lemon juice. Toss again, sprinkle with Parmesan, and serve.
- Add some diced pancetta while cooking the onion; or add cooked diced ham to the broccoli mixture.
- Cheat...Use frozen broccoli florets instead of the fresh broccoli.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Quick Cook.
Copyright Â© 2009 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!