Pasta with Spicy Sausage
Spicy sausage kicks this pasta dish into high gear.
Prep Time: 15M
Cooking Time: 25M
Serves: Serves 4
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large red onion, very finely chopped
- 6-8 good-quality pork sausages, skins removed
- 1 fresh red jalape駉 chile pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- pinch of oregano
- 2/3 cup hot vegetable stock or mushroom stock
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 12oz (350g) dried penne rigate
- small handful of finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan, add the onion, and cook over low heat for 5 minutes or until soft. Chop the sausages and add to the pan, using the back of a fork to mash them. Cook until they are no longer pink, about 5 minutes, then stir in the chile and cayenne.
- Raise the heat, add the wine, and allow to bubble for a few minutes. Add the garlic and oregano and season well with salt and pepper. Pour in the stock and cream, bring to a boil, then simmer for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta as the package directs, until it is tender yet still firm to the bite. Drain, reserving a small amount of the cooking water. Return the pasta to the pot and toss together with the reserved cooking water. Add the sauce, and toss again. Garnish with parsley, and serve.
- Make sure to break up the meat really well-it needs to have a crumbly texture.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Quick Cook.
Copyright © 2009 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!