Pasta with Zucchini and Saffron
Pasta with zucchini and saffron is a hearty, easy-to-make dish.
Prep Time: 10M
Cooking Time: 15M
Serves: Serves 4
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- pinch of saffron threads
- 3-4 zucchini, cut in half and diced
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- pinch of crushed hot red pepper flakes (optional)
- 8oz (225g) dried fettuccine
- handful of finely chopped flat-leaf parsley (optional)
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan, add the onion, and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes or until soft. Add the garlic and saffron, cook for a few seconds more, then add the zucchini. Season well with salt and pepper. Stir in the cream and pepper flakes and cook at a gentle simmer for about 4 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta as the package directs, until it is tender yet still firm to the bite. Drain, reserving a bit of the cooking water. Return the pasta to the pot and toss with the reserved cooking water.
- Add the sauce, toss, then add the parsley, if using, and toss once more. Sprinkle with Parmesan and serve.
- Swap the zucchini for asparagus when in season.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Quick Cook.
Copyright © 2009 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!