Pea and Pancetta Tart
Categories: Party Snacks, Big-Batch Meals, Entertaining, Comfort Foods, Cakes/pies
Type: Main Dishes
Type: Main Dishes
Your family will go crazy for this pea and pancetta tart.
Prep Time: 10M
Cooking Time: 1H15M
Serves: Serves 4-6
- 1 sheet prepared dough for an 8-9in (20-23cm) pie
- all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs, plus 1 extra yolk, lightly beaten, for egg wash
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 41/2oz (125g) pancetta, cut into cubes
- 6 fresh sage leaves, coarsely chopped
- 11/2 cups frozen peas
- 2/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). Roll out the pastry on a floured work surface, and use to line the tart pan with a removable bottom. Trim away the excess, line the pastry shell with parchment paper, and fill with pie weights. Bake for 15-20 minutes until the edges of the pastry are golden. Remove the beans and paper, brush the bottom of the shell with a little of the egg wash, and return to the oven for 2-3 minutes to crisp. Remove from the oven and set aside. Reduce the oven temperature to 350°F (180°C).
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large frying pan over low heat. Add the onion and a pinch of salt, and cook gently for about 5 minutes until soft. Add the pancetta and sage, increase the heat a little, and cook for 6-8 minutes until the pancetta is golden and crispy. Stir in the peas, and season with salt and pepper.
- Spoon the onion and pancetta mixture into the pastry shell, and level the top. Mix together the cream and the 2 eggs, and season well. Carefully pour the cream mixture over the filling to cover. Bake for 20-30 minutes until set and golden. Let cool for 10 minutes before removing the sides of the pan. Serve warm with a tomato salad.
- The tart will be much easier to slice if you leave it to cool for a while first-the residual heat means that it remains soft for a little while once you have taken it out of the oven.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Quick Cook.
Copyright Â© 2009 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!