Penne and Vegetable Salad
Type: Main Dishes
Almost any spring vegetable can be used. For a change, try peas or diced zucchini.
Prep Time: 20M
Cooking Time: 25M
Serves: makes 4-6 servings
- 1lb ( 450g) penne
- 3 cups broccoli florets
- 2 cups asparagus tips
- 1 cup snow peas, trimmed
- 2 large carrots, cut into julienne
- 2 tbsp chopped basil or oregano
For the vinaigrette
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Cook the penne in a large pot of lightly salted boiling water, according to the package instructions, until al dente.
- Meanwhile, steam the broccoli and asparagus for 4 minutes. Add the snow peas and carrots and steam about 3 minutes more, until the vegetables are crisp- tender. Remove from the heat.
- Whisk the vinegar, mustard, and garlic in a large bowl, then gradually whisk in the oil. Drain the pasta well and add to the bowl. Toss in the vegetables and basil. Season with salt and pepper. Serve warm.
- Good with hot crusty garlic rolls.
Creamy Pasta Primavera: In place of the vinaigrette, add 2/3 cup crème fraîche and 1 tsp whole-grain mustard to the vegetables and pasta. Thin with a little of the pasta cooking water if necessary.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright Â© 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!