The two reliable ingredients in this recipe are melted cheese and crispy tortilla chips. You can add your favorite toppings.
Serves: Serves 4
- 1 (16-oz.) can nonfat refried beans
- 1 bag salted white corn tortilla chips (not flavored)
- 2 (16-oz.) bags shredded Mexican-style cheese (available at most grocery stores)
- Pinch chili powder
- Salsa and sour cream for topping
- Place refried beans in a microwave-safe bowl and heat for three minutes or until hot; stir to loosen beans. If necessary, add a little canola oil to enable beans to be easily spread.
- While beans are heating, arrange chips in a double, loose layer on four plates.
- Spoon refried beans across the chips.
- Sprinkle cheese over refried beans, and microwave each plate for two minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Sprinkle a bit of chili powder over each plate, and top nachos to taste with salsa and sour cream.
Excerpted from The Complete Idiot's Guide to 20-Minute Meals © 2003 by CWL Publishing Enterprises, Inc., John Woods, President. All rights reserved including the right of reproduction in whole or in part in any form. Used by arrangement with Alpha Books, a member of Penguin Group (USA) Inc.
To order this book visit Amazon's website or call 1-800-253-6476.