Philly Cheese Steak Sandwiches
Make a healthier version of the classic Philly cheese steak sandwich.
Serves: Serves: 4
- 2 cups thinly sliced onion
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon dried minced garlic
- 4 hot dog buns
- 1 (6-ounce) package Healthy Choice 97% fat-free Deli Sliced Roast Beef
- 4 (3/4-ounce) slices Kraft reduced-fat Swiss cheese
- 3/4 cup (3 ounces) shredded Kraft reduced-fat Cheddar cheese
- Preheat broiler.
- In a large skillet sprayed with butter-flavored cooking spray, combine onion and water. Cover and cook over medium heat for 10 minutes or until onions are softened, stirring occasionally. Stir in mustard and garlic.
- Separate each hot dog bun and arrange on a baking sheet. Lightly spray buns with butter-flavored cooking spray. Broil for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Separate beef into 4 even piles.
- Top bottom half of each bun with a pile of roast beef and a slice of Swiss cheese. Evenly spoon about 1/2 cup onion and 3 tablespoons Cheddar cheese over top of remaining bun halves. Broil for 1 to 2 minutes or until cheese melts.
- Sandwich each half together, cut in half, and serve at once.
From COOKING HEALTHY ACROSS AMERICA by JoAnna Lund. Used by arrangement with Perigee, a member of Penguin Group (USA) Inc. Copyright © 2000 by Healthy Exchanges, Inc.
If you'd like to buy this book, click here or on the book cover.