Pilaf with Chorizo, Pancetta, and Cranberries
This dish is great as a side, but hearty enough to be a whole meal.
Prep Time: 10M
Cooking Time: 25M
Serves: Serves 4
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 3 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 41/2oz (125g) chorizo, sliced
- 41/2oz (125g) pancetta, cubed
- 11/2 cups rice
- 21/2 cups hot vegetable stock, or more as needed
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- handful of flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- In a large nonstick frying pan, melt the butter in the oil over low heat. Add the onion and cook for about 5 minutes until soft. Add the garlic and celery, and cook for a few seconds more. Now add the chorizo and pancetta, and cook for another 5 minutes. Stir in the rice.
- Pour in half of the stock and bring to a boil. Next, pour in the remaining stock, reduce the heat slightly, and simmer gently for about 15 minutes. Stir in the cranberries.
- Cook until the liquid has been absorbed and the rice is tender, adding a little more stock or water if the mixture appears dry. Taste, and season with salt and pepper if needed. Stir in the chopped parsley, and serve.
- Use chopped dried apricots instead of the cranberries.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Quick Cook.
Copyright © 2009 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!