Type: Main Dishes
Crisp pizza dough makes the perfect base for light, fresh toppings such as prosciutto, figs, arugula, and tangy blue cheese
Prep Time: prep 25 mins
Cooking Time: cook 25-30 mins
Serves: makes 4 individual pizzas
- Basic Pizza Dough ( p98)
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, plus more for the baking sheets
- 5oz ( 140g) Gorgonzola cheese, crumbled
- 4 slices of prosciutto torn into strips
- 4 figs, each cut into 8 wedges and peeled
- 2 tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 4oz ( 115g) arugula
- freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). Lightly oil 2 large baking sheets. Divide the dough into 4 equal portions. Roll each on a very lightly floured work surface into an 8in (20cm) round. Arrange 2 rounds on each sheet. Brush with 2 tbsp of the oil and sprinkle with the Gorgonzola.
- Bake for 15 minutes, or until the dough is just beginning to brown.
- Remove from the oven, top with the prosciutto, figs, and tomatoes, and continue baking about 6 minutes, or until the pizzas are golden brown.
- Divide the arugula over each pizza and grind a generous amount of pepper on top. Drizzle with the remaining olive oil and serve at once.
- prep 25 mins; cook 25-30 mins
Gruyère Pizza Bianca: Substitute Gruyère cheese for the Gorgonzola and sprinkle with Fontina.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright Â© 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!