Pork and Bean Casserole
Type: Main Dishes
Make a big batch of this pork and bean casserole to have on hand next time you need a quick dinner idea.
Prep Time: 30M
Cooking Time: 20M
Serves: Serves 8
- 6 tbsp olive oil
- 3 large onions, diced
- 6 celery ribs, diced
- 21/2lb (1.1kg) lean pork, cut into 3/4in (2cm) cubes
- 2 tsp paprika
- 14oz (400g) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 14oz (400g) can flageolet beans, drained and rinsed
- 14oz (400g) can lima beans, drained and rinsed
- 8 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2/3 cup dry white wine
- 11/4 cups hot vegetable stock
- juice of 1 lemon
- handful of fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the oil in a large heavy-based pot over medium heat, add the onions and celery, and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes, or until soft. Add the pork and cook, stirring occasionally, until no longer pink. Stir in the paprika, then add the beans and garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in the wine and let bubble for 3 minutes while the alcohol evaporates. Add the stock, lemon juice, and parsley, season, bring to a boil, lower the heat, and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Let cool completely, then transfer to a freezer-proof container (or 4 freezer bags-2 portions per bag), seal, and freeze for up to 3 months.
- To serve, defrost in the refrigerator overnight, then transfer to a saucepan and heat for 15-20 minutes, until piping hot. Alternatively, microwave for 3 minutes on High, stir and microwave for a further 2 minutes, or until piping hot.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Quick Cook.
Copyright © 2009 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!