Pork with Rice and Tomatoes
This pork and rice dish bubbles with delicious seasonings and flavors.
Prep Time: 30M
Cooking Time: 1H
Serves: Serves 6-8
- 6 tbsp olive oil
- 3 onions, diced
- 21/2lb (1.1kg) lean pork, cut into 2in (5cm) chunks
- 6 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- handful of flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh sage leaves
- 2 tsp paprika
- 2/3 cup dry white wine
- 11/4lb (550g) long-grain rice
- 2 × 28oz (800g) cans diced tomatoes
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 300°F (150°C). Heat the oil in a large, heavy-based, oven-safe pot, add the onions, and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes, or until starting to soften. Add the pork and cook for 5 minutes, or until no longer pink. Stir in the garlic, parsley, thyme, sage, and paprika, then add the wine and cook for 5 minutes. Add the rice and tomatoes, stir to combine, then season well.
- Cover and cook in the oven for 1 hour. Stir occasionally and add a little hot water if it starts to dry out. Remove from the oven and allow to stand for 10 minutes with the lid on before serving.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Quick Cook.
Copyright © 2009 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!