Potato and Pea Curry
Curry adds flavor to this potato and pea dish.
Prep Time: 10M
Cooking Time: 30M
Serves: Serves 4
- 1in (2.5cm) piece of fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 2-3 fresh hot green chile peppers, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- small handful of dried curry leaves (optional)
- 6 tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 11/2lb (675g) all-purpose waxy potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 11/4 cups hot vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- handful of fresh cilantro, chopped
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add the ginger, chiles, cumin seeds, and mustard seeds, and crumble in the curry leaves. Cook for a couple of minutes until the mustard seeds start to pop. Stir in the tomatoes, and cook for a few more minutes.
- Add the potatoes and turmeric, and pour in the stock. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat slightly, cover, and simmer for about 15 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
- Stir in the peas, and cook for another 3-5 minutes. Season well with salt and pepper, and stir in the cilantro. Serve hot with rice or naan bread.
- Cheat...Heat a couple of teaspoons of ready-made curry paste instead of the dried spices.
- This is a fairly dry curry; if you want more liquid, simply add more stock.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Quick Cook.
Copyright Â© 2009 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!