Gnocchi is a family-favorite that is easy to make using leftover mashed potatoes.
Prep Time: 20M
Cooking Time: 5M
Serves: Serves 4
- about 2 cups leftover mashed potatoes
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1-2 tbsp all-purpose flour, plus extra for the work surface
- sea salt
- pesto (to serve)
- Put the leftover mashed potatoes in a bowl. Mix in the egg. Stir in enough flour to form a soft dough. Transfer to a floured work surface, and knead gently for a couple of minutes-don't overwork the dough, or it will become tough.
- Divide the mixture into four equal portions, and roll each into a cylinder. Cut each one into pieces about 11/4in (3cm) long. Use the back of a fork to make a ridged pattern on each piece.
- Cook in a large pot of boiling salted water for 2-3 minutes-when they float to the surface, they are ready. Scoop out using a slotted spoon, and divide among 4 shallow bowls. Serve immediately with a tomato or Gorgonzola sauce, or a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and some pesto over the top.
- It's important that the potatoes aren't too wet. You could boil them in their skins, which will help, but remember to peel them before mashing.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Quick Cook.
Copyright © 2009 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!