Quesadilla with Spiced Beef and Tomato
Quesadillas taste great when they are filled with spiced beef and tomatoes.
Prep Time: 5M
Cooking Time: 20M
Serves: Makes 1
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 41/2oz (125g) lean ground beef
- cayenne pepper, to taste
- small handful of very finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 2 flour or corn tortillas
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a frying pan, then add the beef and season with cayenne. Cook over medium heat for 5 minutes, stirring, breaking up any large pieces, until the meat is no longer pink. Turn down the heat and moisten with a little hot water. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Cook for 5-10 minutes, until the beef is cooked through. Stir in the parsley.
- Heat the remaining oil in a nonstick frying pan, and cook one tortilla for 1 minute or until lightly golden. Spoon the beef mixture over the tortilla, leaving a little border around the edge, then scatter on the tomato and cheese. Top with the other tortilla, pressing it down with the back of a spatula to sandwich the two together. Scoop up the quesadilla with the spatula, carefully turn it over, and cook the other side for another minute or until it is golden. Slice in half or in quarters and serve.
- Scatter some grated cheese, like Gruy鑢e or Emmentaler over the beef mixture.
- If you are only using a couple of tortillas from a package, either wrap the remaining tightly in plastic wrap and keep in the refrigerator, or wrap and freeze for up to 1 month.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Quick Cook.
Copyright Â© 2009 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!