Beans add protein to this pasta dish, and red pepper adds a little kick!
Serves: 6 servings
- 12 ounces rigatoni pasta (about 4 7/8 cups)
- 1 pound fresh plum tomatoes (about 8 medium), cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1 can (15 ounces) cannellini or navy beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup sliced scallions
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sliced black olives
- 2 teaspoons crushed fresh garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/4 cup grated nonfat or regular Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh basil
- 1 cup diced nonfat or reduced-fat mozzarella cheese
- Cook the pasta al dente according to package directions. Drain well, return to the pot, and cover to keep warm.
- While the pasta is cooking, place the tomatoes, beans, scallions, olives, garlic, and pepper in a large deep skillet. Place the skillet over medium heat, cover, and cook for about 5 minutes, or until the mixture is heated through and the tomatoes are just beginning to soften.
- Add the pasta to the skillet mixture, and toss to mix well.
- Remove the skillet from the heat, add the Parmesan and basil, and toss to mix. Add the diced mozzarella, toss to mix, and serve hot.
Excerpted from The Best-Kept Secrets of Healthy Cooking by Sandra Woodruff, R.D. Copyright © 2000 by Sandra Woodruff.
To order this book go to www.penguin.com. Get a 15% discount with the coupon code FENPARENT.