Goose meat is rich in flavor, making it a perfect choice for a festive dinner party or special holiday meal
Prep Time: prep 20 mins
Cooking Time: cook 3 hrs
Serves: makes 6 servings
- 1 goose, thawed, 11lb ( 5kg)
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 small onions, cut in half
- 2 / 3 cup hearty red wine
- Preheat the oven to 350癋 (180癈). Prick the skin all over with a meat fork, rub with salt, and sprinkle with pepper. Tuck 2 onion halves in the neck cavity and the 2 halves in the body cavity.
- Place the goose, breast side up, on a rack in a roasting pan. Cover the pan tightly with aluminum foil. Roast for about 3 hours, occasionally basting the goose with the fat in the pan, until the goose is a rich amber brown color and a meat thermometer, inserted in the thickest part of the thigh, reads 180癋 (85癈). Remove the foil during the last 40 minutes.
- Transfer the goose to a serving platter and tent with foil. Let stand 20 minutes before carving. Carefully pour off the pan juices and fat into a heatproof bowl. Skim off the fat and reserve the pan juices. (Save the fat for another use, if you wish.)
- Heat the pan over high heat, add the red wine, and scrape up the browned bits in the pan with a wooden spoon. Pour in the skimmed juices. Boil about 2 minutes, until slightly reduced.
- Carve the goose and serve with the wine sauce.
- prep 20 mins; cook 3 hrs
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright © 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!