Roast Pork with Bacon and Endive
This pork and endive dish will become an instant favorite in your household.
Prep Time: 10M
Cooking Time: 2H
Serves: Serves 4
- 4lb (1.8kg) loin of pork or boneless rolled shoulder
- 1 tbsp sea salt
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1lb (450g) shallots, peeled and halved, if large
- 4 heads curly endive (chicory), trimmed
- 12 slices bacon
- 2/3 cup hard cider, apple cider, or unsweetened apple juice
- Preheat the oven to 475°F (240°C). Rub the pork with the oil, then pat on the salt. Cook in the oven for 15-20 minutes or until crispy at the edges. Remove from the oven and reduce the temperature to 350°F (180°C).
- Lift up the pork in the roasting pan, place the shallots underneath, then lower the pork on top. Drizzle with the cider and return to the oven to cook for 1 hour 40 minutes (see Cook's Notes). Meanwhile, wrap the bacon evenly around each head of endive (chicory), and add to the pan for the last 40 minutes of cooking.
- Remove the pork and keep warm while it rests for at least 20 minutes. Carve the roast and serve with the endive (chicory), potatoes of your choice, and apple sauce on the side.
- To calculate the exact cooking time for the pork, allow 25 minutes per pound (450g), plus an extra 20 minutes. That's 2 hours in all for a 4lb (1.8kg) roast.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Quick Cook.
Copyright Â© 2009 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!