Type: Main Dishes
Roasted baby beets are naturally sweet treats, and they're as easy to make as baked potatoes.
Serves: Makes about 5 cups
- 8-10 small or baby beets, unpeeled and scrubbed
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Trim the beet tops to within 1" of the beets. Wrap the beets in aluminum foil and place on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 1 hour or until very tender. Remove them from the oven and let cool until you can safely handle them. Remove the beets from the foil and remove and discard the skins. Serve the beets whole, cut into wedges, or diced. Makes about 2 cups.
- Bistro Bits: You can either discard the beet tops or save them to serve to the rest of your family. They have a pleasantly bitter taste, like a broccoli rabe or Swiss chard. Roughly chop and sauté with a little olive oil and garlic.
Reprinted from The Baby Bistro Cookbook: Healthy, Delicious Cuisine for Babies, Toddlers, and You by Joohee Muromcew. Copyright © 2003 by Joohee Muromcew. Permission granted by Rodale, Inc., Emmaus, PA 18098. Available wherever books are sold or directly from the publisher by calling (800) 848-4735 or visit their website at www.rodalestore.com.