Roasted Red Pepper Pizza
You can use either bottled or homemade sauce on this roasted red pepper pizza.
Serves: 8 1 slice servings
- 1 recipe Pizza Dough
- 1/2 cup bottled marinara sauce, Chunky Garden Marinara Sauce, or Arrabbiata Sauce
- 2 tablespoons grated nonfat or regular Parmesan cheese
- 2 medium commercial roasted red peppers, cut into thin strips
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat mozzarella cheese
- 1 small yellow onion, quartered and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup sliced black olives (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface. Using a rolling pin, roll the dough into a 14-inch circle. (For a thick crust, roll the dough into a 12-inch circle.) Coat a 14-inch (or 12-inch) pizza pan with nonstick cooking spray. Place the dough on the pan, forming a slight rim around the edges. Set the crust aside for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Spread the sauce over the crust to within 1/2 inch of the edges. Sprinkle with the Parmesan, and arrange the roasted pepper strips in concentric circles over the sauce and cheese. Top first with the mozzarella, and then with the onions and, if desired, the olives. Sprinkle with the basil and oregano.
- Bake at 425°F for about 12 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and the crust is lightly browned. Slice and serve immediately.
Excerpted from The Best-Kept Secrets of Healthy Cooking by Sandra Woodruff, R.D. Copyright © 2000 by Sandra Woodruff.
To order this book go to www.penguin.com. Get a 15% discount with the coupon code FENPARENT.