Salmon and Shrimp Fish Pie
Salmon and shrimp fish pie is easy to make and tastes delicious.
Prep Time: 15M
Cooking Time: 35M
Serves: Serves 2
- 11/2lb (700g) floury potatoes, such as russet, peeled and quartered
- 11/4 cups milk, plus 2 tbsp
- 12oz (350g) leftover salmon, flaked into chunks
- 7oz (200g) peeled and deveined cooked shrimp
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp butter, plus extra for topping
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp coarse-grain mustard
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). Cook the potatoes in a pan of boiling water for 15 minutes until tender, drain, then mash well. Add the 2 tbsp milk, season with salt and pepper, and mash again until smooth. Set aside.
- Evenly arrange the salmon and shrimp in the baking dish, season with salt and pepper, and set aside.
- Gently melt the butter in a saucepan over low heat. Remove from the heat, and stir in the flour with a wooden spoon. Add a little milk from the 11/4 cup, and beat with the spoon until smooth. Return the pan to the heat, and continue adding the milk, a little at a time, stirring all the time until the sauce has thickened. Whisk well with a balloon whisk to ensure that there are no lumps, then stir in the mustard to blend.
- Pour the sauce over the fish and shrimp, and toss to mix. Cover with the mashed potatoes, and dot with extra butter. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the filling is heated through and the topping is crisp and golden.
- Cheat...Use 1 cup of ready-made white or cheese sauce, and stir the mustard into it.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Quick Cook.
Copyright © 2009 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!