Categories: Big-Batch Meals, Cakes/pies, Comfort Foods, Entertaining, Party Snacks
Type: Main Dishes
Type: Main Dishes
Tomatoes and sausage make this pie hearty and delicious.
Prep Time: 15M
Cooking Time: 40M
Serves: Serves 4
- 1 sheet prepared dough for an 8-9in (20-23cm) pie
- all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1lb (450g) good-quality pork sausages, skinned and crumbled
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 4 tomatoes, sliced
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). Roll out the pastry on a floured work surface, and use to line an 8in (20cm) square baking dish or tart pan. Trim away any excess, line the pastry shell with parchment paper, and fill with pie weights or dry beans. Bake for 15-20 minutes until the edges are golden. Remove the beans and paper, brush the bottom of the pastry with a little of the beaten egg, and return to the oven for 2-3 minutes to crisp. Remove from the oven and set aside. Reduce the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large frying pan over low heat. Add the onion and a pinch of sea salt and cook gently for about 5 minutes until soft. Add the sausage meat, breaking it up with a fork or the back of a fork. Season well with salt and pepper, and sprinkle with the oregano. Cook, stirring frequently, over medium-low heat for about 10 minutes until no longer pink. Leave to cool, then mix in the remaining beaten egg.
- Spoon the sausage mixture into the pastry shell, then layer the tomatoes over the top. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes until lightly golden. Let cool for 10 minutes, then slice and serve.
- You could always chop the tomatoes, and combine with the sausage mixture, instead of layering them on top.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Quick Cook.
Copyright Â© 2009 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!