Savory Baked Ziti
A savory meat sauce is key to making a delicious baked ziti.
Serves: 10 servings
- 1 pound ziti pasta (about 6 cups)
- 5 cups Savory Meat Sauce
- 1/4 cup grated nonfat or regular Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup shredded nonfat or reduced-fat mozzarella cheese
- CHEESE FILLING
- 3 cups nonfat or low-fat ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup grated nonfat or regular Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons fat-free egg substitute
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
- Cook the ziti until barely al dente according to package directions. Drain well, and return to the pot. Add 3 cups of the sauce, and toss to mix well. Set aside.
- To make the cheese filling, place all of the filling ingredients in a medium-sized bowl, and stir to mix well. Set aside.
- To assemble the casserole, coat a 9-x-13-inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray, and spread half of the ziti in the pan. Spread all of the filling over the ziti. Then cover the filling with the remaining ziti. Spread the remaining 2 cups of sauce over the top, and sprinkle with the 1/4 cup of Parmesan.
- Cover the pan with aluminum foil, and bake at 350°F for 40 minutes, or until hot and bubbly. Remove the foil, spread the mozzarella over the top, and bake uncovered for 10 additional minutes, or until the cheese is melted.
- Remove the dish from the oven, and let sit for 10 minutes before cutting into squares and serving.
Excerpted from The Best-Kept Secrets of Healthy Cooking by Sandra Woodruff, R.D. Copyright © 2000 by Sandra Woodruff.
To order this book go to www.penguin.com. Get a 15% discount with the coupon code FENPARENT.